Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Omo Edition: College Clothing Essentials

Courtesy of Tommy Hilfiger 
I have a few items I think belong in every college girls closet, however depending on what region you’re going to school in you’ll need different stuff. If you're in the south, then you’re going to need some southern belle prepster essentials. You got to have the game day clothes, almost every school in the south will put on their Sunday best for game day, in the appropriate color of course. You'll need some essentials  few items Vineyard Vines, Lily Pulitzer, J Crew, some Jack Rogers, bean boots, some hunters. If you don’t know what those things are and you’re planning for 4 years in the south, learn them now. If you’re going to the sunny west coast, just bring summer clothes. Don’t even bring a sweater or jacket. Snow boots, what a joke. You’ll never know what snow is out there. I hate you guys.

   1.)    UNDERWEAR
         Just buy more underwear, and when you are done, buy some more. If you are already at school and think you have enough underwear, you don’t. If you take more than one shower a day, good luck. There is nothing more annoying to me than when I have to do laundry earlier than I need to because I ran out of underwear. And laundry isn't free, so if you don’t need to do it, avoid it. You’re going to think this isn't that important and won’t follow this advice, but if anything this is THE most important piece of advice. I bought 24 new pairs of underwear this summer going into sophomore year. I learned.


   2.)    A good pair of heels
         If you plan on joining a sorority, or going to clubs this is a must. Most people opt for a nude pump, but I don't think that's the best basic. My suggestion is just buying a basic closed toe heel in white or black that is very comfortable. Heels with ankle straps are really cute and add a little extra flair to a basic pump. Comfort is key though. This isn't a high school dance where you’re going to ditch your shoes when you get there, these will be on all night. That said investing in inserts, or having those foldable flats in your bags work wonders for a night out.

   3.)    One Business suit, or business attire outfit
         I’m a business major so this was an absolute must for me. However, I think everyone should have some kind of business casual outfit in their closet. There are a lot of job fairs, marketing events, internship events and you want to be presentable. Instead of buying a full business suit I just went to New York andCompany and bought dress pants, and dress shirts. I think if you have a body that’s not super proportionate, like for me I’m 6ft tall and have the shortest torso ever, if makes more sense to buy things separately. If you are a tall girl like me New York and Company is THE BEST place to buy dress pants, they're actually long and they're affordable( much cheaper than Express). If you have a Ross, Nordstrom Rack or TJ Maxx around you they sell a lot of Calvin Klein work attire for an extreme discount.

   4.)    Layers
          In high school you were going from your car into the building, maybe spending a minute max outside. Now you’re walking campuses and cities to get to classes, you experience the cold WAY differently. It only stays warm for maybe 2 months (that’s pushing it honestly) when you arrive at school and you have to start transitioning to fall. Having a lot of think cardigans, pullover sweaters, leather jackets, and parkas make the transition a lot easier. They are also great items to layer underneath a winter coat. Also don’t forget about the bottom half. I’m in Wisconsin for school and last winter I thought I was literally going to die walking to class sometimes, and be buried under snow, and they’d never find my body, it was traumatizing. You need to be prepared cause the cold sometimes bites through your jeans. Invest in some cold gear base layer, some version of under armour. I'm pretty sure Walmart even sells their own version.

   5.)    tights, leggings, jeggings, yoga pants
         I HATE sweatpants. Yeah I know I’m an athlete who doesn't like sweatpants, its weird. Basketball shorts, love them. Sweatpants, no. Instead of sweatpants I opt for other lazy day comfy wear. There will be the days when the sight of your jeans makes you want to vomit, this is when you want another alternative. I used to be the girls that was all “leggings aren't pants”, I am not longer that girls, they are totally pants.

   6.)    Statement necklace
         Now this doesn't need to be a big chunky bib necklace just a standout necklace. For me I wear a double stacked gold chain collar necklace. It’s something that is just a finishing touch and can add some dimension to your outfit. I’m not huge on jewelry(other than earrings) I wear really dainty stuff, but having a nice statement necklace for a go to I think is a quick way to elevate an outfit.

   7.)    Rain/ snow boots
         I was the girls that stupidly did not bring any of these things to school, I quickly learned my lesson. I thought leather boots could do the trick, and I owned 4 different pairs so why buy more boots. The salt on the ground quickly ruins the leather and stains it, and beyond that they don’t keep your toes warm AT ALL. Spend the money and INVEST in a god pair. Buy Hunters, buy a cute pair of snow boots.Buy a boot you like, more so than a winter coat if you don't like the boot you wont wear it. Most sidewalks are cleaned, and salted so it doesn't always need to be a water proof snow boot, but make sure there’s at least a rubberized sole so you don’t slip on hidden ice.

   8.)    WINTER COAT
         Listen to your mom, don’t go for that cute coat that wont keep you warm. Invest and just buy something for warmth and not style if you must. They gave us Track and Field winter coats at school so I don’t do this anymore, but in High school I used to buy snowboarding/ ski jackets for winter. They’re built to handle the cold, and are insulated. They come in so many cute designs so you can find one easily that you like. I would always just go on the Zumiez website or store and get them. They can be pricey, but if you buy them off season you can find them for under $100 easily.

   9.)    Party clothes
         People are sloppy. Bars are gross, frats are gross, house parties are gross, basically wherever you are going to party is disgusting. There's usually always beer on the floor and the floors get sticky, and people are sweaty. Beyond that people are just so sloppy when they’re drunk and their cups start sloshing and tipping over onto you. You don’t want to wear you’re really nice clothes and SHOES, stuff you wear during the day at night. You know how much money you spend on your clothes and you don’t want that stuff getting ruined. I don’t specifically look at a shirt and say, it has to be for going out, but I buy certain things with the intention that I’ll wear them to go out. Nastygal has so many cute crop tops and bodysuits, same with Asos and Topshop. Most importantly though whatever you buy to go out in shouldn't be that expensive, it will probably get ruined so don’t drop mucho money.


Everyone has a certain look and style they go far, so maybe all of these won’t fit into your aesthetic. However, these are things I had to either buy while I was at school and they were expensive, or regretted not having, or had to buy over the summer. Beyond the seasonal stuff, this is a very accessible list. Having these items makes getting dressed 10x easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment