Sunday, August 3, 2014

Birthdays Should Be About People Not Gifts

Courtesy of Google Images 

Now I am all down for being showered with gifts, I think gifts small or large are just great tokens to give to people to show love. It’s not that the gift itself matters that much, but the thought, that you put in the effort to get someone one, unless your buying Chanel...Chanel matters, 

A friend texted me and was relaying how they were broke and couldn't get me a birthday present (birthdays tomorrow wassup, share the same bday as Mr. President) and it just got me thinking a bit. The expected response was “it’s okay you don’t need to get me anything” and that’s what I responded. Not because it was expected though, but because it was true.

I've always been someone who enjoyed experiences more than things. Now I can drop money easily when I go shopping at times because clothing brings me a lot of inner happiness, but I’m always saving my money for an experience. Whether it be a concert, a plane ticket to visit a friend, or going out to dinner Saturday night, I think the moments you get to do fun things and incorporate the people you love and care about in the process are the most enriching parts of life.

So I did give my friend the polite expected answer, but I really did mean it. Because spending my birthday and getting to see my friends for a few hours when we go paint balling tomorrow and being able to laugh and goof around; then coming back and being able to hang out with my family is gift enough.

When it comes down to it birthdays aren't really all that important, we all age. But I see birthdays as a day of reflection, to really think about where you were a year ago, and where you are now. To analyze the growth and to seek out, and to pray out, for help in improving the deficits.


Gifts are nice, and I am definitely someone who like to be lavished and the finer things in life, but more so than them I think enjoying life with the right people are what make for a great day, especially on your birthday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment